Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Dose of Random Randomness #7

* Yesterday morning, instead of quickly cobbling together a Waiting on Wednesday post, I actually worked on writing a review. This is a step in the right direction, but uhm, yeah, another day slipped past with no post! I can't seem to shake my review writing funk. What do *you* do when you need to psych yourself up to write some reviews that have been waiting too long?

* Weirdness at work has been putting me into a funk and stealing my Christmas spirit. I've done a better job of shaking off the bad worky feelings this week, but jeez I have a lot of Christmas prep still to do that I was ignoring while sulking about my job situation for no especially good reason. We don't even have a tree yet! The good news is, I already bought a bunch of books for the holidays (for other people, not for me of course....LOL). The bad news is, that still leaves the hard task of thinking of less obvious Christmas gifts. ;-) What books are you giving this holiday season? I'd tell you mine, but then I might have to eat this post...

* I've set myself a goal to catch up with my backlogged LibraryThing Early Reviewer books. I've been very bad and let them pile up while I got distracted by newer and shinier things. I'm reading them shortest to longest thinking that should maximize results faster thus restoring me ever so quickly to LibraryThing good standing, but these things always backfire on me and tiny, short books mock me by not being fast reads. Oh well, I have the best of intentions...

* I won a #FridayReads giveaway on Twitter - definitely a fun surprise. If you're on Twitter and aren't tweeting what you're reading on Friday with the hash tag #fridayreads....why not? You get to tell the "world" what you're reading, and hey, who knows, maybe you'll win something, too.

* Series books with major cliffhangers make me crazy, especially considering I usually only have the first book of a series on hand until I read the first and decide if I like it. Let's just say, there's a few books I'm hoping to get for Christmas, too, but I wish it were sooner. On that note, I asked for The Hunger Games series, too, so I can stop being the last person on the earth (or at least the blogosphere) that hasn't read it. If someone gets them for me, that is.

* Why does the good, loyal dog always die (tragically) in stories? For that matter, why, in war movies especially, does that guy who dashes onto the battlefield to carry his wounded buddy back to safety always seem to die a terrible death? Whenever I see that guy dashing to the battlefield, I can't help but think, "Oh, there's another goner!" Loyalty and goodness don't really seem to come with the best rewards. Life lesson? Ugh, I hope not.

8 comments:

  1. You are not the last person to read Hunger Games - I haven't either! I do have them but haven't got to them yet.

    congrats on the #fridayreads win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know about that #fridayreads thing. I'll have to pay better attention I guess.

    I hope you get the Hunger Games and sequels. It'll be fun to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read The Hunger Games either. For the record. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose LT Early Reviewer books are late by the time they're read! I'm reading one right now that I received in the spring - it was published in June. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of cliffhangers, have you read Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy? It's got cliffhangers but it's so, so good and worth it, and I say this as someone who does not at all love a cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the fridayreads win! I won a few weeks ago too and had fun spending my gift certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mean there are deadlines to the LibraryThing Early Reader program? ;) LOL! I am so far behind on mine too, so I feel your pain.

    Congrats on winning one of the #fridayreads prizes! That is one of my favorite things about Friday!

    I hear you on the Christmas funk. I still haven't baked cookies or anything yet. I did the bare minimum for decorating and presents. Good luck finding your Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete