Sunday, December 26, 2010

Having Myself A Merry Dystopian Christmas



Happy Day After Christmas everyone! I hope everyone that celebrates had a good time with family and friends, and I hope you found some good bookish plunder under the Christmas tree, too. I know I did on both counts.

As you can see, my Christmas bookishness came with a bit of a theme. I just finished Patrick Ness's excellent dystopian The Knife of Never Letting Go a few weeks ago, only to find it has a wicked cliffhanger of an ending (How rude!). Luckily, I had just enough time to slip the other two books in the Chaos Walking trilogy onto my Christmas wish list, and, thanks to my parents, I'm now the proud owner of The Ask and the Answer and Monsters of Men.

In other news, I'll soon be able to hang up my "I'm the last living human who hasn't read The Hunger Games" t-shirt for good. My aunt provided me with a lovely box set of all three of The Hunger Games series, so now I can enjoy that trilogy at will, too. In still further good news, I am the lucky owner of one new comfy rolling desk chair, so, as soon as we can get it put together (and you can pull me out of my dystopian YA haze), I will be able to enjoy my blogging in comfort, having cast off the threadbare chair that's been serving as our seat for about 2 years too long.

Of course, I had to make sure that my family members had some books to unwrap, too. My mom had been wishing for The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein and The Help by Kathryn Stockett, so both of those made an appearance among the Christmas plunder. I've heard so many good things about both that I hope she'll let me have a go at them when she's finished! For my dad, I initially just got him the newest John Grisham title, The Confession. Then I was skimming my Shelf Awareness newsletter and saw that Tom Clancy had a new book out, and knowing that my dad was always a huge fan of Tom Clancy's from way back, I couldn't help picking up a copy of Dead or Alive for him, too.

How about you? What good books did you give and receive this year?

8 comments:

  1. yay! I'm glad you now have both books 2 and 3, because the second one also has one of those rude endings ;) Also, can you pass that Hunger Games sign on to me when you're done with it? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great group of books; enjoy them all Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! I am sure you will enjoy the second two Chaos Walking books, as they are wonderful. Both my sisters received those two books two because they just need them. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy your new books, Megan! It sounds like everyone in your family had a wonderfully bookish Christmas. :-)

    If it hadn't been for my blogging Secret Santas, would not have received one book for Christmas this year. It's not so unusual though. My husband is about the only person who ever thinks to buy me books. I did give out a few this year as gifts. I can't resist sharing my favorites with others who I think might like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Knife of Never Letting Go is very near the top of my TBR list! I'll have to make sure I have the rest of the series ready and waiting. I loved the Hunger Games, and I hope you do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, what a good haul. I hope you like The Hunger Games trilogy now that you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I can safely say you will love the Hunger Games! I've got The Knife of Never Letting Go in my TBR stack and since reading so many year-end posts where bloggers have raved about Monsters (like you with Hunger, I'm late to the game on this series), it's been moved up in the pile and I plan to read it this month.

    Oh, and I do recommend you ask your mother to let you borrow The Art of Racing ... it was one of my favorite books from a couple years ago. I haven't read The Help yet myself so can't vouch for that one.

    Happy New Year and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete